Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Role Two - Hockey Defensive Skill and other Hockey topics.
COACHING PRINCIPLES FOR PLAYING DEFENSE
Neutral Zone - defensively
Diagrams and descriptions of team play.
These are diagrams of many of the systems described below. http://hockeycoachingabcs.com/index-8.html
* Weak side defenseman covers the wide winger unless the backchecker has him.
* Stay up at the blue line if the wingers are covered.
* Try to meet the play before the blue line on a 2 on 2 and 3 on 3.
* Turn and go with an uncovered breaking winger.
* On a one on one always look through the play and your man, eyes up looking at chest or eyes.
* Talk to forwards and defense partner all the time.
* Don't let an opponent coming out of your zone hang behind you uncovered.
|Jennifer Mathes, Ph.D.|