COACHING PRINCIPLES FOR PLAYING DEFENSE
Neutral Zone - defensively
Diagrams and descriptions of team play.
These are diagrams of many of the systems described below. http://hockeycoachingabcs.com/index-8.html
* Weak side defenseman covers the wide winger unless the backchecker has him.
* Stay up at the blue line if the wingers are covered.
* Try to meet the play before the blue line on a 2 on 2 and 3 on 3.
* Turn and go with an uncovered breaking winger.
* On a one on one always look through the play and your man, eyes up looking at chest or eyes.
* Talk to forwards and defense partner all the time.
* Donīt let an opponent coming out of your zone hang behind you uncovered.
Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.