Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Hockey Playing Systems and other Hockey topics.
COACHING PRINCIPLES FOR AN AGGRESSIVE 2-1- 2 PLAYING SYSTEM WITH A PINCH ON A RIM
A 2-1-2 forechecking system and it's variations focus on causing turn-overs and regaining the puck in the offensive zone by pressuring the opponent and limiting their time and space to make plays.
To do this the team must be good skaters and hard working in order to put constant pressure on the defense.
* The closest checker should create immediate pressure and steer the puck wide angling off back shoulder and make contact. Skate to the mid slot when
the puck is passed away from you. This is important as the original number one must now become either the second or third forechecker and he can read
this situation from the mid slot area.
* The second checker skate to the middle lane and read to get the loose puck if the first checker makes contact, cover the other defenseman on a to D to D pass or give back pressure on a rim.
* The third checker should mirror the play from the mid slot and check the winger on the boards if he gets a pass. When the weak side defense pinches
the third forward covers the mid point area and must play as a defenseman if the opposition breaks out.
* The fourth man supports from the far post and should pinch on a rim with the rule that "both the attacker and the puck cannot get over the blue
* The fifth man, support from the strong side point, and slide across and cover the other point when number four pinches.
|Sheri Ann Richerson|